Keep warm this winter with a hearty fondue comprised of our finest melty cheeses. We serve fondue made from equal parts of our alpine style cheeses, the nutty Dairyere and bright crisp Vivace, and a healthy helping of our ripe washed rind, Hooligan. Try our recipe below:
- 2 lbs grated cheese without rind:
- Mark recommends ½ lb Dairyere and ½ lb Vivace with 1 lbHooligan, but he likes it stinky!
- For a less pungent alternative, try ¾ lb Dairyere, ¾ lb Vivace, and ½ lb Hooligan.
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 3/4 cups New England Brewing 668 or Overshores Brewing Belle Fermiere (if you can’t find these CT beers you could use Belgian Chimay Trappist blue label ale or substitute a dry white wine if you’d prefer)
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 Tablespoons cherry Kirsch liqueur
- grated nutmeg
- black pepper
- cubes of French bread or boiled potatoes
1. Rub the inside of a heavy bottomed pot with the garlic clove
2. Add the ale and heat over medium heat until slightly bubbling
3. Add the cheese by the handful and stir to melt. Simmer.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and kirsch until there are no lumps. Add this to the cheese mixture.
5. Top with black pepper and nutmeg to taste.
6. Keep warm over a Sterno heater while serving.
7. Serve with cubes of French bread or boiled potatoes. Accompany with gherkins and cured sausage if desired.